There are a few things that I am really looking forward to in this first year of preschool.
- Buying school supplies. I am a certified school supply (and office supply) freak. I order the supplies at the office and typically have one of everything we order at my desk because I'm a hoarder like that. Its like Christmas every two weeks for me! Anywho, I was tickled to pick up Roxy's supply list so that we could shop for crayons, pencils, paper, glue, scissors... And then I read the list. The only real "school" supply on the list is a backpack. Seriously! But I'm making the best of it I can while purchasing baby wipes, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizer, hand soap, paper towels, kleenex and sandwich bags.
- Hearing about Roxy's friends. Roxy has a few friends at church and a few from the sitters, but I'm looking forward to her forging ahead with friends at school. I want to hear stories at night of what she did with whom at school. Who knows? Maybe there are some mommy-friends in there for me, as well.
- Help for Roxy's nonfluency. Roxy qualified for public preschool based on her nonfluency issues. She is going to receive a few weeks of early intervention in the classroom before it is decided whether or not she will need one-on-one with a speech and language pathologist. I'm looking forward to seeing her improve and with it, her self-esteem, I hope!
- Seeing her excel. My daughter is smart. And yes, part of that may be because she is my child, but its also honest. During our consultation after her preschool exam, the examiner asked, "Did you know she recognizes some of her numbers?" Um, yeah. She does. And her entire alphabet...upper and lower case. Those areas she scored lower in? She wasn't trying. She knows pink, black and gray. She also knows what a triangle is. Those are some of the things she missed during her evaluation.
- School clothes & shoes. Any reason to shop is a reason for celebration for me! We haven't exactly shopped for "school clothes," but Roxy's wardrobe has expanded the past couple of weeks and I think its safe to say she is ready for the hallway fashion show!
- Roxy's (maybe) 1st bus ride. We're rolling around the idea that Roxy might get to ride that big yellow school bus for the first time. She seems awfully young, but the school system does a hand-to-hand exchange with preschoolers where they ride a smaller bus with monitoring adults. The adults deliver the child from the bus to the guardian at the designated drop off. Not as bad as my original thoughts on bus riding. We'll reserve a decision for a later date, though.
- School photos and yearbooks. School photos get a bad wrap. They aren't usually well done and they do cost more than they should. However, I think that at least one copy of each year should be purchased to look back on. Ditto for yearbooks. I usually only refer back to my senior yearbook, but they still hold memories. I love to look back at memories past.
- Teacher gifts. At the beginning of summer, my blog list was overcome with ideas of gifts for teachers at the end of the school year. This year I will have a teacher and two assistants to make gifts for.
I know chances are that this list will be drastically different if I think to do it again in a few years. It will be interesting to see when most of these items become more chore than enjoyment.
What are you looking most forward to this school year?